- Fits 4 Door Wrangler (JK Unlimited) – The one from Bestop happens to fit both 4 door and 2 door
- Has floor to roof coverage so that dogs are contained with seats down or up
- Does not affect rear seat function meaning people can sit, or I can fold seats down without messing with the barrier
- Strong! We have Akitas which are a large and strong breed of dog
- Requires no drilling/modification… Easy install
- Can be easily removed and installed when needed
- Quiet – Does not rattle when driving off road
- The barrier was packaged and delivered in an appropriately large box. The instructions were pretty good and it took me a couple hours from start to finish (including gathering the tools and then putting them away) and I assembled without any help. The only room for improvement would be that I had to use some deep thought to be sure I was installing the barrier in the correct orientation. I went with the intuitive way of facing the attaching floor brackets toward the rear seat (to stay away from doggy paws) which was correct. Some doubt occurred when attaching the lower brackets because they don’t quite reach the floor mounts perfectly (you have pull down a little) but once you fasten everything down the little bit of preload in the barrier seems to keep it perfectly quiet.
- No drilling, no modifications. Just bolt it on and go!
- I can’t think of any reason why any pet barrier would need to be stronger than this one. If you come to a screeching halt at high speeds I have no doubt this barrier will hold up to two or three akitas in the back even without the seat down for extra support. I don’t give it a 10/10 because I know there are stronger ones out there which are completely over the top.
- I’m happy with the functionality and understand that when you introduce convenience (quick releases for easy removal and install) that you do so at the expense of strength and reliability. The rear seat folds up and down as needed without interference. The barrier can be removed in under 5 minutes.
- Additionally they make a Bestop Pet Barrier for the 2 Door Wrangler as well as the Unlimited
- This barrier is as high quality as you need a pet barrier to be. The only reason it doesn’t get 10/10 because I would have made it a few mm taller, or changed the angle of the lower and top piece so that it didn’t take so much force to attach the bottom portion to the lower bracket. It wasn’t over the top difficult, but it could have been a little easier without a loss in performance.
Overall – 10/10 – Highly recommended
After hundreds of Akita car rides the barrier has performed flawlessly.
- The coating on the metal is holding up perfectly
- The barrier makes ZERO noise when driving around (even when wheelin’!)
- There’s a perfectly planned spot for the rear seatbelt to pass through from the cabin to the rear seat
- I’ve removed it and replaced it a few times to get larger items in and it was easy and the barrier showed no loss of strength after multiple removal and installs.
Use the links below to check these out on Amazon:4 Door Model – Bestop 42501-01 Satin Black Pet Barrier for 2007-2018 Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited
2 Door Model – Bestop 42503-01 Satin Black Pet Barrier for 2011-2018 Wrangler JK 2-Door